Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Snow Days –

When I was in elementary school, I loved snow days; who didn’t? I remember waking up with anticipation to watch TV and see if my school district was closing. My brother and I watched excitedly as each school closing announcement scrolled across the bottom of the screen. Finally, our school district, one of the last, scrolled by and we screamed for joy!

We put on our snow clothes and headed outside as quickly as we could. Unfortunately, our snow clothes were not like ski clothes. We wore jeans that my mom scotch guarded, plastic baggies under our shoes, and crochet mittens and a hat my mom made for us; we were outside as quickly as we could throw on our patchwork snow clothes.

Our enthusiasm lasted about fifteen minutes, which is how long it took for our feet and hands to become wet. Of course, we gutted out the cold hands and feet as long as we could. This was a snow day after all. We didn’t get them very often, so we had to enjoy every minute of the freedom from school provided by Mother Nature.

After a couple of hours, my brother and I would trudge home to begin the slow removal of our cold and wet clothes so we could enjoy something warm to drink and eat. Thankfully, my mom enjoyed snow days as much as we did and always provided us with a willing heart. She greeted us with soup, homemade hot chocolate, and cookies. She helped us put on our snow clothes and take them off. She would dry them immediately because she knew we were going out again as soon as we were warm and fed!

No comments:

Post a Comment